(UPDATED 10:00PM) Russian Forces Capture Kherson, Leaked Video Show Russian Plans to Have Belarus Join the War and an Attack on Moldova
Russian President Putin announced the invasion of Ukraine late Wednesday night, and immediately followed it with action. The following is a summary of incidents, numbers and breaking news on the war.
This article will be updated throughout the day as information becomes available.
10:00pm: The following is an analysis by Sen. Marco Rubio on the war:
After being unable to make progress for close to 72 hours #Putin’s massive military column stuck 15 miles outside #Kyiv is beginning to show a growing decline in readiness. Growing signs the people of #Russia are becoming increasingly aware of the scale & scope of the #UkraineRussianWar. If so this would put #Putin in danger of a two front conflict. He would move quickly to impose restrictions aimed at preventing large protests & unrest.
8:18pm: Russian businessman Alexander Konanykhin has put a million dollar reward for Putin’s head over the invasion of Ukraine.
8:17pm: One of the world’s largest software producers, Oracle, has suspended all operations in Russia.
6:18pm: The Russian Federation Council is set to hold an unscheduled meeting on Friday, leading to widespread speculation in Moscow that the country might impose martial law.
6:17pm: The International Criminal Court formally opens investigation into possible Russian war crimes in Ukraine.
1:17pm: A Russian soldier had reportedly surrendered and Ukrainians provided him with food and supplies and let him video call his mother. The soldier literally bursts into tears while talking to his family.
10:00am: General Update:
- Overnight, the city of Kherson, the biggest city so far to fall to Russian forces, was completely taken over by Russia.
- Bombardment of Ukrainian cities continued, leaving multiple dead, hundreds wounded, and extensive infrastructure damage.
- The 40 miles-long Russian military convoy on its way to Kyiv has remain bogged down and made little progress towards the capital.
- As per the Ukrainian government, nearly 6,000 Russian soldiers have lost their lives in the first six days of war.
- The US Justice Department will look to confiscate yachts, luxury apartments and private jets of wealthy Russians with ties to Putin over the war.
- More than 450,000 people have fled from Ukraine to Poland, and a further 113,000 to Romania. The numbers of people escaping to Moldova has yet to be announced.
Updates from 3/1/22
9:40pm: President Biden has announced that Russian airplanes will be banned from US Airspace.
9:37pm: Apple has stopped selling all of its products in Russia due to the invasion of Ukraine, the company announced Tuesday.
9:34pm: Two elite Chechen death squads sent to kill Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky have been “neutralized” — thanks to intel from Russian security forces sympathetic to Ukraine, according to a senior Ukraine official.
9:15pm: In western #Russia #Putin has deployed 42 An-2 “Colt” biplanes & a 300% increase in combat aircraft
There are indications the “Colts” may have been converted to drones for use as decoys to trigger an air defense response from #Ukraine that would identify their location.
4:43pm: According to intelligence reports, Russia is preparing a provocation to justify the introduction of Belarusian troops, which are now concentrated on the Ukrainian border. The forces include about 300 tanks.
4:24pm: Numbers of Russia’s casualties and other losses, According to Ukraine’s Defense Ministry:
4:14pm: Anlysis from Sen. Marco Rubio:
The long Russian line is a heavily armed traffic jam
They are facing logistical challenges & being attacked by a military & harassed by an population with the will to fight
But also be aware that in Syria they showed an ability to learn from setbacks & make adjustments
4:06pm: According to a report, terrified Russian Marines defied orders to storm a mine-filled Ukrainian beach on Monday— and instead forced their fleet of warships to turn around and flee.
1:43pm: International Tennis Federation (ITF) suspends Russia and Belarus from ITF membership and international team competitions. Statement says “players from Russia and Belarus will continue to be allowed to compete in international tennis events on Tour and at the Grand Slams. However, they will not compete under the name or flag of Russia or Belarus until further notice.”
1:16pm: DirecTV is dropping RT America, citing Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
12:56pm: General Motors is joining a host of other companies in cutting off its business with Russia. The Detroit-based automaker announced Friday it is halting all exports to the country.
11:57am: A Belarusian unit of volunteers has been created and will be joining the Ukrainian army.
10:43am: Russia strikes a TV tower in Kyiv. Ukrainian TV channels have stopped broadcasting several minutes ago.
10:21am: Video shows the moment a missile strikes a government building in Kharkiv, Ukraine.
10:20am: Russia faces embarrassment in Geneva as all Western Diplomats walkout together as Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov begins to address the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva.
9:20am: Analysis from Sen. Marco Rubio – #Russia is moving to quickly choke off supplies to #Kyiv by sealing off the western part of the city Remember all the material being sent to #Ukraine has to come across the border and from the western part of the country
9:05am: Maersk suspends all container shipping to Russia
9:00am: General Update:
- A Russian attack hits a military base in eastern Ukraine, killing more than 70 Ukrainian soldiers.
- Australia to send weapons to Ukraine, joining European allies
- Mastercard has blocked a number of financial institutions’ access to the payment network as a result of sanctions orders against Russia.
- Two US officials tell NBC News that the U.S. has solid intelligence that Putin is frustrated and expressing unusual bursts of anger at people in his inner circle over the state of the military campaign so far and the worldwide condemnation of his actions.
- All major cities are still under Ukrainian control.
- Biden Administration officials warned lawmakers in classified briefings today that a second wave of Russian troops will likely consolidate the country’s positions within Ukraine and by sheer numbers be able to overcome the Ukrainian resistance.
Updates from 2/28/22
10:01pm: Ukraine’s ambassador to U.S. says Russia used a vacuum bomb on Monday. A vacuum bomb is a type of explosive that uses oxygen from the surrounding air to generate a high-temperature explosion. In practice, the blast wave typically produced by these weapons lasts significantly longer than that of a conventional condensed explosive.
10:00pm: The International Criminal Court is “opening an investigation into the situation in Ukraine, as rapidly as possible,” the court’s chief prosecutor announces.
5:10pm: Want to get verified information on on equipment damage and loss in this war? https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html
5:05pm: International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) has suspended all Russian and Belarusian national and club teams from competitions until further notice.
5:05pm: All Russian ships are now banned from docking in British ports.
2:56pm: From Sen. Marco Rubio:
Growing signs #Putin has ordered a medieval siege of #Kyiv
Cut a city of millions off from food, fuel, power, communications & supplies & then bomb & starve the govt into submission
We need to start thinking about what we can & are willing to do to prevent such a barbaric crime
1:47pm: The Israeli Foreign Ministry confirms that a young Israeli citizen was killed in Ukraine while he was making his way to the border with Moldova.
1:46pm: Russian teams have been suspended from international soccer after the country’s invasion of Ukraine. (FIFA)
11:57am: A senior defense official revealed that “just under 75 percent of the combat power” Putin assembled ahead of the invasion is currently inside Ukraine. Last week, the US estimated Russia massed up to 190,000 troops along the border.
11:36am: According to initial reports, a Jewish person, possibly Israeli, was killed by Russian fire as he was trying to flee Kyiv, Ukraine with a group.
11:34am: Russian forces are shelling residential areas of Kharkiv with Grad missiles.
10:00am: General Update:
- Ukraine will release prison inmates with combat experience to help fight Russia, Zelenskiy says.
- Russia is closing airspace to 27 nations – including Germany, Spain, Italy and France.
- Airbnb to house 100K Ukrainian refugees fleeing Russia war.
- Switzerland’s president says country will join EU sanctions, including asset freezes, targeting Russia.
- 500,000+ refugees flee Ukraine since Russia waged war.
- State Department shut US embassy in Belarus, authorizes American diplomats in Russia to leave.
- Both Russian and Ukrainian delegations have arrived for talks in Belarus earlier today.
9:34am: Two small cities in southern Ukraine have fallen to the invading Russian forces.
9:30am: According to Ukrainian Intelligence, approximately 5,300 Russian troops has died so far in the war. Russia has also lost 29 planes, 29 helicopters, 191 tanks, 74 artillery pieces, 816 armored personnel carriers, one anti-aircraft missile BUK system, 21 multiple rocket launch Grad systems, 291 cars, 60 fuel tanks, three drones, and five anti-aircraft warfare assets.
Remember, thes numbers are coming from Ukraine, and are impossible to verify.
Updates From 2/28/22
11:06pm: Analysis from Senator Marco Rubio – “This is the most dangerous moment in 60 years #Putin’s is facing a humiliating military fiasco & he has triggered extraordinary consequences on #Russia’s economy & people that will not be easy to reverse And his only options to reset this imbalance are catastrophic ones.”
10:49pm: Ukraine’s Interior Ministry says 352 Ukrainian civilians have been killed during Russia’s invasion, including 14 children. It says an additional 1,684 people, including 116 children, have been wounded.
The ministry’s statement Sunday does not give any information on casualties among Ukraine’s armed forces.
10:45pm: Belarus renounces it’s non-nuclear status after a referendum today, allowing the Russians to base nuclear weapons in the country.
6:20pm: General Update:
- Russia and Ukraine to hold talks on Monday morning.
- Around 4,300 Russian soldiers have died in Ukraine war so far.
- A convoy of over 3 miles of troop and fuel tanks is heading towards Kyiv.
- Russian forces have not captured any cities in Ukraine with over 250,000 people.
- U.S. Embassy urges all Americans in Russia to leave immediately while flights are still available.
- Russian Airline Aeroflot cancels all flights to European destinations.
- “Overwhelming majority” of EU states support proposal to let Ukrainian refugees stay for at least 3 years; formal decision soon.
- Russian forces have seized control of the port city of Berdiansk in southeast Ukraine.
- The Russian Ruble is down 20% in early trading and at a new record low against the US dollar.
4:01pm: New York Gov Kathy Hochul announced that the state will end and divest all investments in Russia.
3:58pm: Ukrainian Ministry of Health says 352 civilians, including 14 children, have died in the Russian attack on Ukraine so far.
2:58pm: FedEx and UPS have suspended shipments into Russia amid the country’s invasion of Ukraine.
2:57pm: The mayor of Kyiv says the city is now surrounded by Russian forces, making it impossible for citizens to evacuate.
12:27pm: Ukraine reports damage to two nuclear waste sites. According to initial reporting, there is no significant radiation leaks.
12:00pm: The official government account of Ukraine confirms that the sole An-225 Mriya, the world’s largest operational aircraft, has been destroyed by the Russians.
11:56am: The EU bans all “Russian-owned, Russian registered or Russian-controlled aircraft” from landing, taking off or flying over its airspace.
10:46am: SpaceX founder Elon Musk announced on Saturday that SpaceX’s Starlink satellite broadband service has been activated in Ukraine to provide high speed internet.
10:40am: Ukrainian and Russian officials will meet for talks at a venue on the Belarusian border with Ukraine, President Volodymyr Zelensky’s office said on Sunday.
10:00am: Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered his military’s nuclear deterrent forces on high alert.
9:20am: The Israeli government has published the following communication about a rescue of Israeli’s in Ukraine.
The Israeli embassy in Poland last night rescued 60 Israeli civilians through the Korczowa crossing in Poland in a rescue operation that lasted more than 12 hours.
The Israeli diplomats, from the Israeli embassies in Ukraine and Poland and recovering diplomats who came from the Foreign Ministry in Jerusalem and from Israeli missions in Europe, crossed the border four times throughout the night and rescued the Israelis including women, children and students who needed medical assistance.
The event was conducted by the Foreign Ministry Lt. Col., which was established in the border town of Peshmerga.
9:10am: In an unconfirmed report, claims were made that the Ukrainian military has “neutralized” the Chechen general, Magomed Tushayev. Apparently, he could have been killed near Kiev, in the area known as Hostome. Tushayev He was in charge of the 141 motorized regiment of the so-called Kadyrov guard: one of the most elite units in Chechnya and whose contingent would be made up of about 400 men.
9:00am: Intel and AMD announce they will stop supplying microchips to Russia.
8:00am: A recent order to Russian military leaders has sparked a warning from the US.
Marco Rubio posted that officers should “think very carefully before following the orders they recently received.”
“Putin is 2 years shy of the life expectancy of a Russian male and you will spend the rest of your lives evading an international tribunal for committing his crimes.”
7:00am: As per US Intelligence Chair Marco Rubio, we know what Putin’s plan was:
- air dominance in first 12 hours
- Destroy #Ukraine military comms in 36 hours
- Bypass major urban areas, cut off Eastern Army, encircle Kyiv & get govt to flee within 48 hours
- Install puppet govt within 72 hours
He is still 0 for 4
Updates from 2/26/22
9:00pm: The United Nations says it has confirmed at least 240 civilian casualties, including at least 64 people killed, in the fighting in Ukraine that erupted since Russia’s invasion on Thursday — though it believed the “real figures are considerably higher” because many reports of casualties remain to be confirmed.
7:44pm: Further Updates:
-Russia’s government portal is facing cyberattacks on an “unprecedented scale,” ministry says; multiple websites, including the Kremlin are down.
-Nearly 120,000 Ukrainians have fled the country so far, seeking refuge from fighting.
-Ukraine official says about 3,500 Russian soldiers killed or injured so far.
-Several European nations have banned Russia from their airspace.
-Over 3,000 detained for anti-war protests in Russia since Thursday.
-Zelensky asks UN to strip Russia of its security council vote.
-YouTube blocks RT, other Russian channels from generating revenue.
7:22pm: Russian state TV channels have been hacked by Anonymous to broadcast what is happening in Ukraine.
7:00pm: Analysis done by the UK Defense Ministry reveals that the speed of the Russian invasion has been temporarily slowed as a result of acute logistical difficulties and a strong Ukrainian resistance.
-Germany agrees to send 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 Stinger missiles to help Ukraine.
-Netherlands agrees to send 50 Panzerfaust-3 anti-tank weapons and 400 rockets to Ukraine.
-Russian artillery fire has struck Kyiv’s children’s cancer hospital Okhmadyt, killing one child and wounding two, along with two adults.
-The United States will transfer an unnamed number of “Stinger” air defense systems to Kyiv as part of a new $350 million arms shipment to Ukraine.
-Delta Air Lines has suspended its partnership with Russian national airline Aeroflot following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
-US allies agree to remove ‘selected’ Russian banks from the international SWIFT messaging system.
-A Russian missile just hit an oil depot in Vasilkov, not far from Kyiv, creating an explosion clearly seen from the city.
Updates from 2/25/22
2:20pm: General Update: Ukrainian Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Malyar Numbers update:
Russian forces had suffered the following losses:
Tanks – up to 80
Aircraft – 10
Helicopters – 7
Personnel – 2,800
Armored combat vehicles of different types – 516
- US Defense official says Russian military has lost some momentum and is facing more resistance than it expected.
- UK Prime Minister Johnson says It is now impossible to normalize relations with Russia after the events in Ukraine.
- For the first time ever, the NATO Response Force has been activated as a defensive measure in response to Russia’s ongoing invasion of Ukraine.
- Large convoy of lethal NATO supplies just crossed the border into Ukraine. Poland’s Minister of Defence Mariusz Błaszczak shared this picture.
- Kyiv mayor says situation is “threatening” with Russian troops close to the capital: “This night, in the morning, will be very difficult”
- Russia will not be participating in Eurovision Song Contest 2022.
- NATO Secretary General warns cyber attacks can trigger Article 5.
12:22pm: Chechen special forces are reportedly making their way to Ukraine to hunt down the Ukrainian government officials.
12:21pm: 18,000 rifles distributed to cvilians as the Russian offensive enters Kiev proper.
9:51am: President Zelenskiy says that 137 Ukrainians have been killed and another 316 wounded since the Russian invasion began.
8:59am: General Update:
- US intelligence officials are concerned Kyiv could fall under Russian control within days.
- Russian forces have moved to within 20 miles of the capital. But Ukrainian military putting up stiff resistance.
- U.K. Defence Minister says he estimates that 450 Russian soldiers were killed in first day of fighting.
- 18,000 assault rifles distributed to residents in Kyiv.
- Russian FM Lavrov says Moscow would be ready to negotiate with Ukraine once the Ukrainian military lays down its weapons.
8:50am: Bridge near Kyiv blown up to prevent it from being used by Russian forces.
Updates from Thursday 8/24/22
8:40pm: Earlier on today, 13 Ukrainian border guards were killed in the Russian take-over of Snake Island in the Black Sea, near the Romanian border.
3:08pm: At least 57 Ukrainians were killed and 169 injured as a result of Russia’s harsh attacks today. (Health Minister)
1:25pm: General Update:
- Russian army has seized control of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant.
- UK to ban aeroflot aircraft from landing in UK.
- The Russian army have seized Antonov’s airport of Hostomel, 20km of Kyiv
- Biden and G7 leaders have agreed on a package of sanctions and other economic measures
1:18pm: Russia plans to encircle #Kyiv, force the legitimate govt of #Ukraine to flee & install “Vichy Ukranian”puppets
Key to this plan is a large #Russian Airborne Forces operation
We may see an attempt to execute on that operation within a matter of hours #UkraineRussiaConflict
11:54am: Switzerland imposes sanctions against three Russian banks and 361 deputies of the Russian Duma, President of the Swiss Confederation Ignazio Cassis announced.
11:50am: General Update
- Ukrainian Army calls on reservists and “and all those who can hold weapons” to attack invading Russian forces.
- Russian Ministry of Defence said it had destroyed 74 Ukrainian above-ground military facilities, including 11 aerodromes.
- City of Kyiv warns that there is a threat of airstrikes on the city, when hearing sirens go to a bomb shelter.
- NATO chief says no ‘plans’ to send alliance troops to Ukraine.
- UK PM calls Putin a ‘dictator’, Ukraine invasion a ‘hideous and barbaric venture’.
- Israel condemns Russian invasion as breach of world ‘order.
- Advisor to Ukrainian interior ministry says Russian forces entered Chernobyl and that fighting there destroyed a nuclear waste storage facility.
- Ukraine’s President Zelensky says that Russia is attempting to capture Chernobyl nuclear plant. He further says “This is a declaration of war on the whole of Europe.”
- The Mayor of Ukraine’s capital Kyiv announced a curfew from 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM.
- A senior U.S. defense official tells Reuters that assessment is that Russia has every intention of basically decapitating Ukrainian government.
- US official says that Russia used about 75 aircraft during initial phase of assault on Ukraine.
9:00am: Latest numbers and info:
- 40 Ukrainian soldiers killed
- 50 Russian soldiers killed
- 6 Russian planes shot down by Ukraine
- UK’s Boris Johnson calls an emergency NATO summit
- Ukraine cuts diplomatic ties with Russia.
7:00am: Russian Tanks in Khakhova, Ukraine.
5:00am: Israel releases Notice to citizens in Ukraine:
A few hours ago a new and difficult phase began in the war in Ukraine. The airspace in the country was closed and all flights were canceled. The Foreign Ministry calls on Israeli citizens in the country to leave Ukraine immediately to neighboring countries to the west, depending on the security situation. The Foreign Ministry calls on Israeli citizens in Ukraine to follow the reports in the media and to obey the instructions of the local security forces.
Israeli embassies in the area have sent representatives to major border crossings according to the list below.
The following is a list of border crossings where our people will be stationed:
Medyka border crossing to Poland
Vysne Nemescke crossing the border into Slovakia
Zahony border crossing to Hungary
Sighet border crossing to Romania
Later in the day, we will also present an Israeli representative in Moldova at the Planca border crossing
Citizens who need assistance or guidance are invited to contact the State Department’s situation room at 02-52303155
The telephone number of the office in Lvov: + 380935402099
You can also continue to contact the hot lines of the embassy:
3536 770 67 380+
4216 770 67 380+
We call on Israeli citizens who are in Ukraine to register at the following link:
2:00am: Russian strikes are now being reported in Ukraine’s neighbor Moldova, including in the capital city of Chişinău.
1:00am: Footage of Russian paratroopers parachuting down near Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Updates from Wednesday 2/23/22
11:11pm: According to Marco Rubio: Long range missile launches from #Russia are now underway. They are headed towards various pre-selected military sites throughout #Ukraine
10:58pm: NATO responds to Russia Invasion:
I strongly condemn Russia’s reckless and unprovoked attack on Ukraine, which puts at risk countless civilian lives. Once again, despite our repeated warnings and tireless efforts to engage in diplomacy, Russia has chosen the path of aggression against a sovereign and independent country.
This is a grave breach of international law, and a serious threat to Euro-Atlantic security. I call on Russia to cease its military action immediately and respect Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. NATO Allies will meet to address the consequences of Russia’s aggressive actions. We stand with the people of Ukraine at this terrible time. NATO will do all it takes to protect and defend all Allies.
10:44pm: According to Marco Rubio, Russia is now working on:
-establishing air superiority via targeted surgical strikes
-a pincer movement to trap Ukrainian forces in the east & cut them off from #Kyiv
-finally attempt to decapitate Ukrainian govt by targeting govt buildings,leaders & command & control systems
-Russia’s airborne forces are attempting to take control of the airport in #Kyiv to they can fly in forces to occupy the capitol city
-An amphibious assault on the key port city of #Mariupol is now underway
-Ground forces now moving in from Belarus,Crimea & from #Russia
10:31pm: US President Biden has released the following statement on the Ukraine invasion:
The prayers of the entire world are with the people of Ukraine tonight as they suffer an unprovoked and unjustified attack by Russian military forces. President Putin has chosen a premeditated war that will bring a catastrophic loss of life and human suffering. Russia alone is responsible for the death and destruction this attack will bring, and the United States and its Allies and partners will respond in a united and decisive way. The world will hold Russia accountable.
I will be monitoring the situation from the White House this evening and will continue to get regular updates from my national security team. Tomorrow, I will meet with my G7 counterparts in the morning and then speak to the American people to announce the further consequences the United States and our Allies and partners will impose on Russia for this needless act of aggression against Ukraine and global peace and security. We will also coordinate with our NATO Allies to ensure a strong, united response that deters any aggression against the Alliance. Tonight, Jill and I are praying for the brave and proud people of Ukraine.
10:28pm: Reports of Explosions in Kiev.
10:21pm: Ukrainian air defenses engaging targets in Ukrainian airspace.
10:00pm: Breaking: massive explosions just now in Kramatorsk. At least four. Very big.
10:00pm: Putin just spoke live on TV: Announced ‘special operation’ in Donbass, eastern Ukraine. Calls on Ukrainian service members to ‘lay down their arms and go home’. Russia does not plan to “occupy” Ukraine. Russia’s response to outside interference will be terrible:
9:50pm: The airspace above Ukraine is cleared of all civilian aircraft.