FPL Customers See 45% Improvement in Reliability Over The Last Decade
Florida Power & Light Company customers received the most reliable service in the company’s history in 2021, continuing a trend in which FPL has improved reliability by 45% over the last decade.
An annual report filed by FPL today with the Florida Public Service Commission shows that key industry metrics the company uses to track its electric service were better than ever before in 2021, including the average amount of time an FPL customer experienced an outage; the average number of interruptions experienced by a customer; and the average number of momentary interruptions or flickers.
Customers in Northwest Florida have seen a 58% improvement in reliability since becoming part of the FPL family in 2019.
FPL’s best-ever performance is due in large part to the company’s continuing investments to make the energy grid stronger, smarter and more storm-resilient.
“While FPL has been Florida’s most reliable investor-owned utility every year since 2006, we’ve never stopped working to get even better to deliver the exceptional service our customers have come to expect from us,” said FPL Chairman and CEO Eric Silagy. “FPL’s disciplined, long-term investments to build a stronger, smarter and more storm-resilient energy grid continue to yield tangible benefits in good weather and bad. In our rapidly growing state on the front lines of climate change, FPL is as focused as ever on continuing to invest in infrastructure and innovative technology to reliably deliver clean and affordable energy all of us can depend on – including future generations.”
Since the historic 2004-05 hurricane seasons, FPL has made significant investments to protect the grid against extreme weather and improve day-to-day reliability. These include:
- Replacing wooden transmission structures with new ones made of steel or concrete.
- Hardening main power lines that serve critical community facilities and services.
- Inspecting power poles and replacing those that no longer meet FPL’s industry-leading standards for strength.
- Installing more than 190,000 intelligent devices along the grid to detect and prevent power outages and minimize restoration times when outages occur.
- Maintaining trees and other vegetation along more than 26,000 miles of power lines each year to reduce a leading cause of outages.
- Placing more neighborhood power lines underground through the Storm Secure Underground Pilot Program, which has completed more than 600 projects through the end of 2021.
In 2021, for the sixth time in seven years, FPL was awarded the ReliabilityOne® National Reliability Award, presented by PA Consulting.